Name:
Location: Northwestern Pennsylvania, United States

Welcome to my world, a modest little mix of art, writing, animals, and whatever else happens to catch my fancy at the moment...

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Spring Things

Last night I was fortunate to have been able to witness a very professional shearing of camelids at my friends Audrey and Chuck's place. They have a llama, a couple alpacas and a mix of the two, and hired a most excellent shearer/engineer (what a combination!) to do the job. I won't be lucky enough to be able to bribe him to do my llama, as he is quite busy enough (as you might imagine!) But I got to see it done, which should be quite helpful in my own amateur attempts with Dallai. (Thanks guys!!!)

And I did gain enough confidence to try the electric shearers on him (I usually use scissors.) I have to do this with him standing, no stanchion, no one to hold him, so I'm trying to make it as unscarey as possible for him (and hence, ME!) I kept the session short, and only did some of the thin belly hairs, but I'm thrilled to say he hardly spit at all and only laid down on the job twice! I get the sense it will go a wee bit easier this year!

The other success I had recently was passing the praxis test for secondary English. (I mention it now, only because I brought it up in a recent post. I'm kind of anal like that.) Now if I can just motivate to send the info (and requisite hundred dollar) to the Dept of Ed, I would qualify to teach high school English! (Just in time for Gov. Corbett to ditch half the education budget!) I just have the best timing sensibilities! (Actually its probably good I never got a real teaching job; I might have been tempted to buy a house, and since I wouldn't have had 10 years experience, Id have probably lost the job anyway - and the house!) There's reasons, I think! Though I have to wonder what the reason is for having this compulsion to collect things I never use (or hardly ever.) High School Eng cert, elementary cert, life guard cert, small herd of large animals, obscure blog ... etc.

Speaking of obscure things I start and don't utilize, I'm about to launch a website; "http://alphabooksoup.weebly.com" I'm linking it to this, at least til I obliterate this one! (That link wont work right now, tho - haven't gone public yet.) I'll try to remember to put a valid link in a future post when I do, though!

Happy Easter and Festival of the Fertility Rites of Spring, everyone! (Ok, well, you explain all those bunnies and eggs then!) Ttfn!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home